-->
  • Of Parties and Weddings



    Despite my writing deadline, I attended Joey's Christmas Party and open house sale earlier with Kim. (Please do not tell my boss--he'd throw a fit and curse me forever.) Kim was very excited when I arrived and was very highschool-ish when she raised her left hand--giving me a full view of a shining diamond ring. Yes, she's getting married!

    Kim has been waiting for then-boyfriend-now-fiance's proposal for two years now. But she was still surprised when he dropped the question after hours of scaling Mt. Maculot. (They're both mountaineers.) Once at the peak, he knelt and offered the ring--the works!

    "I'm included in his plans, Lei," Kim told me afterward. I can sense her happiness. And really, I'm happy for her too. She told me the wedding might happen next year, in a simple intimate gathering with very close friends. I promised I'd go. "But you can't bring a boyfriend." Ha, as if I'd get one in such a short span of time. So I promise to go alone; I'd probably carpool with one of our friends.

    She also got some inspiration from Tessy, whose daughter got married recently. Tessy said daughter had pots with succulents as giveaways. "It doesn't have to be the same. You can have different designs for each pot," Tessy said.

    So Kim is hellbent on having those for the wedding. "Help me out, Lei." I agreed but pointed out that I might not be prolific in pottery next year because I have a film in the pipeline. But let's see. What's three hours every week for a friend in need?

    At home, my friend asked what I think about the whole proposal thing. Was I envious? Did I miss being involved with someone? Not really. I don't entertain the idea of marriage because I'm relatively unattached at the moment. What I realized when I saw the ring was this: I hope my future fiance would pick up a simple ring, one that doesn't attract too much attention. (Kim's was stylish.) As for how he'll propose. Well, its up to him, he's the guy after all. Haha.

    So after a happy night, my loot was Jon Pettyjon's tea cup with cute monster feet.


    I wonder how he does this: Does he carve it after throwing? Or does he add them after trimming? - 12/1/2013
  • You might also like

    No comments: