-->
  • Salt Piggies

    Returning to Joey's studio on a Friday afternoon had me thinking of one thing: salt pigs! I intend to make it my project for the year and hopefully, I'd be able to craft really good ones by the time I'm fed up with them.

    The salt pig is basically a jar for the salt, placed on the kitchentop for ease of access. When you cook (I do), you just pinch from the pig and throw it on your pan/pot. Unlike typical jars, the wide opening is on the side, creating a concave ceiling that protects salt from splattering oils and the likes. The insides are supposedly unglazed to absorb the moist.

    I basically got ideas from an instagram account (yes, instagram) on a pottery shop based in UK. Since I'm starting to learn the art of cooking (finally!) I intend to make my kitch as beginner-friendly and aesthetically enticing as possible.

    So, on my first day, Joey taught me how to close mounds (because he thought he taught me but didn't). My hands were wobbling, probably for not returning late last year, and it took me awhile before I learned how its done.


    In the end, I made three small circular mounds, which I'll be opening again next week. Joey said I'd just put lids and do whatever I want. And I will do just that!

    One of my biggest pottery frustrations is not having the time to design my creations. I'm not a wheel type of potter--I prefer designing it when I'm done shaping. Thus, you can imagine how frustrating the previous year had been: I only get to make bowls from the wheel.

    This year, I'm expanding (sort of) and putting this hobby to the test: I wanted to know if I really want to stay in this art form or move on the next. My gauge: If I can translate my imaginings to tangible works. And that is, through the salt pig project. :) - 2/21/2014

  • You might also like

    No comments: