-->
  • Some Kindergarten Poetry

    Himig
    (September 27, 2015)

    While moving boxes and tables and chairs, I thank the
    room for being small and the cage being equally small to
    contain you. We live in diminutive boxes, you and I. And now that you are
    lost, the limited space relieves me. While I pull
    out the disjointed twigs of the Christmas tree I
    lumped in dark garbage bags, I thank that you loathe
    perky things and would never hide where you can get
    pricked. While I rummage through the cushions and the
    blankets, which you love because they’re so soft, I thank
    my envious self, the clingy one who wanted someone to take home even though
    living together was against your nature. And while I
    step on one of your fresh green excrements or crumple the manuscripts you
    stamped with your pee, I thank that dreadful cat food for being the one you
    favoured. While I search for you for an hour, with no you, no pincushion, in sight, I
     thank my impulsive self for wanting you without any sense of
    responsibility. We are cursed, you and
    I. You are meant to run away while I am destined to
    look and never catch you. And when I have given up on
    finding you in this mess we both created, and when I choose to
    sleep instead, you sneak up to brush your
    thorns along my leg, and I, perpetually half-amused,
    half-scared, and now fully aware, would shy away. But when you are
    found and crawling around my neck to entangle your nails along my hair, in my
    sleepiness, I thank this reckless little self who have
    grown accustomed to the small comfort of your
    soft and prickly embrace.


    The persons I love best
    (September 26, 2015)

    The persons I love best are the ones who wait.
    The farmer who overlooks a field of rice on a rainy day
    praying the monsoon leaves the husks standing after the onslaught. 
    The hiker atop Pulag covered in jackets at dusk,
    whisking mosquitoes and leeches away.
    The potter who is awake at 2 in the morning to manage a 
    kiln engulfed in smokes and fumes. 
    A mother outside the school to pick a son—the yaya
    left on extended vacation and will not come back soon.
    The father teaching a daughter to change a tire because
    it is hard to be dependent on others while on the road, he says.
    A 7-year-old watching the clouds adrift
    making up castles and rabbits and monsters in her head. 
    The persons I love best are the ones who
    waste and not waste time.
    Who tipple along moments to linger in silent agony. Those who 
    see the natural cadence of the universe
    unfolding, passing. Until the destined time comes
    and they are rewarded with a field of gold
    or the heat of the morning, or a vase immortalized by fire. 
    The ones who receive a kiss, a story,
    a hello, and a smile.


    Untitled
    (September 26, 2015)

    The basket is filled to the brim with
    pink makopas from the Wednesday market. My cousins and I 
    dig through the pile in hurried competition, we forget 
    once our teeth crunch through the supple smooth skin. Lele
    pretends to be Pacman and the fruit, the jellyfish. I refute it with 
    something absurd: A wide-brimmed bright nose 
    swollen from summer dust. I bite the tip first before 
    devouring the bridge. Tasteless white flesh, 
    bitter after-taste. The  sap clinching through the 
    partitions of my teeth. Until my tongue reaches a 
    web of white threads surrounding an ageing seed. We 
    throw those away to decay by the garden, like the 
    weaves of Lola’s basket, dwindling through many 
    Aprils. Unused, empty.

    - 9/27/2015
  • You might also like

    No comments: