-->
  • Penny For Your Thoughts?


     Today I woke up with a conversation fleeting through my head. I overheard it last night, when Cat and I had our early dinner in one of Ayala’s dining areas. Beside our table sat two long-haired corporate girls, otherwise inconspicuous if not for the other girl who was loudly going through this narrative:

    “I had my hair colored. And I really spent, like P3,000 for the coloring. And you know, (name of another girl) bought a dress. As in sobrang maganda ang dress niya. She spent P5,000. Tapos sa event, I was done with my make-up, as in hindi pa ako sobrang bihis and all. Tapos she approached me and said: Let’s have a picture together kasi ang ganda-ganda mo. Ang sabi ko: Ha? E hindi pa nga ako nakaayos e. But she said ang ganda daw ng eyes ko. Pero sobrang hindi pa ako tapos mag-ayos.”

    It reminded me of another story Purple shared last week. She was eating in one of the karinderyas in UP when she overheard this conversation:

    “Have you seen (name of another girl)? She’s three inches bigger than me no?”

    And another story when Cat covered a “Gatsby” wedding. Among these stories, this was the most appalling. The maid of honor’s speech goes something like this:

    “I’m happy that you now have the life you want. It’s the woman’s role to shop and the man, to earn money.”

    Damn.

    Maybe these are the reasons why I don’t like going out lately and why I hate visiting the social media world. I hear so many voices that spoke of the same things: the latest shopping conquest, the hippest food joint in town, the overrated bar where everyone gets slutty tipsy, etcetera etcetera.

    My current world is a clutter of monetary quick-fixes, of temporary sources of happiness that leads to nothing but lugubrious emptiness. I am surrounded by people who find purpose in spending, in finding value in the physical things.

    I miss my old world, the much more simpler world, where I don’t hear these types of conversations, where these superficial things never mattered, where people talked more sense, back when my rock music idol doesn’t dress up like a dolled-up Miley Cyrus.

    Because really, the world needs more than just a pretty face. – 7/25/2013
  • You might also like

    No comments: