-->
  • The First

    While preparing my application for a journalism fellowship, I saw the first investigative report I did as a journalist four years ago. And I realized that it remains a favorite. So am posting it here:

    Push to revive Bataan nuclear plant timely?

    Proponents cite current volatile oil prices and clean debt slate of the mothballed power plant. But the 2010 elections is 6 months away. 

    MANILA, Philippines – From afar, the edifice known as the Bataan Nuclear Power Plant (BNPP) sits in quiet solitude atop the 3.5 square kilometer government property in Napot Point, framed by the lush mountainside of Mt. Natib and the clear azure skies of Morong. The power plant overlooks the South China Sea, where the sound of crashing waves drown every other sound, from seagulls to motors to the tedious community life.

    But within the white structure, encased in 124-feet concrete cylinder and enclosed in layers of cement, lie the source of decades-old fear and dread: a pressurized water reactor—whose meltdown, in worst case scenarios, could spew highly toxic radioactive chemicals in surrounding areas.

    The use of nuclear power in energy generation has always been a hot topic in the Philippines, where images of mushroom clouds and deadly chemicals are as contested as a comprehensive reproductive health bill. But as oil and electricity prices peak and scenarios of energy shortages emerge, groups are pushing for the rehabilitation of what critics called the “monster” of Morong. MORE...

    Its my favorite because I love the energy sector. As a matter of fact, it might be one of my story proposals. I hope I get that fellowship! - 1/13/2014
  • You might also like

    No comments: