-->
  • The Letran

    There's much to love about Manila despite the grime, the horrendous traffic, and the diverse populace. I've fallen in love with Manila countless times, I've fallen out of love countless times too.

    Yes, I have a battered-wife syndrome for Manila. Haha. And if people ask me what's my favorite spot, I'd say without batting an eyelash: Intramuros, of course.

    The walled city, formerly a citadel of Spanish colonization, is the only place in the metro where I always get lost. Regardless of the hundred (probably thousand) times I visit, my geographical sense goes haywire within this former garrison.

    Facade of the San Juan de Letran University
    Its probably because there's always a new spot to discover here. And probably because Manila wasn't exactly part of my childhood. I have no memory of ever being bought to Manila by the folks. (I do remember being in UP all the time as a kid, though.)


    Today, my Manileno friend, Cyril, toured me to another spot in Intramuros: the Letran university side. Letran goes down in history as the school to have groomed Jose Rizal, Manuel Quezon, and other significant figures.


    There's a certain road in front of Letran that's called a Puerta of a certain woman (Isabel, perhaps?). Cyril said it was a running joke when he was in grade school. I asked why. He looked incredulous and said: Puerta means opening. Thus, the name of the road roughly translates to (girl name)'s opening.

    Now, that's a naughty gag coming from an all-boys school! Haha.




  • You might also like

    No comments: