-->
  • Notes on Baler: Stoked by Surfing

    Sabang Beach, Baler, Aurora
    10:16 pm, 9th April 2009

    The inn we rented out was small but enough to let us stretch our legs and allow us to breathe. Not too big for us, not too comfortable, not everything. Just enough for a few days crash. The queen-sized bed was also enough to give Cutee and I our own space to spread our tiring bodies.

    I could not specify which anatomical parts hurt the most from our first try at surfing. Every muscle was throbbing, every patch of skin felt bruised and aching, every flesh was hot from being submerged in sea water for more than an hour.

    But we were both stoked.

    Our conversations would constantly drift into how we slipped from our boards and how we hit the sandy bottom, numerous bruises and cuts on our sun-burnt skins. The feeling was sublime, the euphoria was unexplainable. We were laughing like we were drugged or stoned. We were on a high--a surfing kind of high.

    I had not planned to surf, my lack of proper beach wear, a bikini to be exact, was proof of how unexciting I initially perceived this trip to be. I went to Baler for the ride. I agreed to go for the sake of leaving Manila. To see an unvisited place.

    It was amazing how we can do so many things on our first day in Baler. Right after we reached the town, we found a backpacker inn called Little Angels and got a mediocre room. A quick walk around the beach front and we met Marivic, who owns the next resort. Her sons teach surfing and we hopped in because the price was a bargain.

    The next thing I know, I'm lying on a surfboard and ripping, toppling over and hitting the sandy bottom Baler has been famous for. Fast forward to more than an hour after and my legs and arms are peppered with cuts and bruises, some bleeding, some black and blue. It hurts. But inside, I feel good, accomplished even.

    In my head, on the bed, with a smile still plastered on my face, I let the roaring waves bring me sleep. For tomorrow, the waves await conquering. -
  • You might also like

    No comments: