-->
  • Back to Scho!

    After six years, I'm finally returning to my college to pursue a different academic track: music.

    Well, I'm not really applying for a bachelor's degree; I'm simply trying out a short beginner course on the violin. I was initially planning to enroll in UP but changed my mind after realizing that I trust St Scho more. Heck, I studied here and am still a Scholastican.

    When people meet me for the first time, they always assume I'm from UP. Even UP graduates/students assume I'm from that school. Since I break stereotypes, I won't give them the benefit of the doubt. I won't study there this time, and probably not ever. I will always deny being an Iska--which is a good thing, I think. Its time people stop putting labels.

    Anyway, since Nica asked me to accompany her for a major career move at CCP,  we decided to drop by and check out the school. Ian said the music building got a major upgrade, making it stick out like a sore thumb among the older, almost jurassic other buildings.

    The new Battig hallway
    Security is always tight in an exclusive school so its a good thing I have violin classes inquiries to make. We managed to get inside without causing a bedlam at the Pergola, navigated through the parking lot, passed through St Cecilia's, and stepped into the new music building. (We were greeted by the shrill fleeting sound of the violin coming from a male student. Nica took this as a good sign.)

    The insides are air-conditioned, the walls are still washed in cream and deep brown (traditional St Scho), and the rooms are properly designed to accentuate better sounds. I still like the nostalgic feel of the old building but this one receives my thumbs up.

    Progress is always good, as long as it doesn't forget the past. This new building had just that. While it remains in tune with St Scho's long history of musicality, its also looking forward to another hundred years of excellence.  As Nica would say: "Its the same, yet its different." Just like everything else in this little school. We agreed its a good thing.

    The people at the dean's office was very accommodating too, as always. The conversation was somewhat personal. I didn't mention being a graduate. But then again, a Kulasa always knows a fellow Kulasa. I know a Scholastican when I talk to one--and it elates me that she always turn out to be a woman of substance.

    Nica, at the Sacred Heart Garden
    After the inquiries, Nica and I looked around, trying to remember the name of the areas students hang out, the ones we used to know so well. In the end, we only remember the Pergola, St Cecilia's, and the names of the buildings! Boo!

    Its a good thing we came back, Nica said. I agreed, but quickly added that although I felt that way, I wouldn't want to stay here completely. "My one hour session every week is enough," I said. "If I stay too long, I'll remember memories better left forgotten."

    One of the things I love but fear the most is going back to the past. As I'm in my identity rebuilding phase, this trip became a culmination of sorts for me. It reinforced who I was; made me remember the girl before the fast pace of the "outside" world overtook me. I remember those sunny days when I had a clear idea of who I am and what I want to become.

    I changed. St Scho changed. But amid these, there is still a sense of belonging, probably imbued in me yet I never felt then. Now I do. I understand. I am proud to be a Scholastican.

    St Scho might not be as popular or influential as other bigger universities, but in the three workplaces I've labored for the last six years (where I'm the only Kulasa), I managed to pace with other graduates and even do better. And the fact too, that I have retained a higher level of personal and ethical standard meant this school taught me in the best possible way. - 2/7/2013
  • You might also like

    No comments: