-->
  • Swerve

    That kadin (local name for mountain goat) is a more experienced trekker than I am
    The other week, I applied for a travel writing scholarship and am still crossing my fingers I get chosen (despite the numerous nicely-written entries). I decided to write about Batanes because its a place I still get nostalgic about and would gladly fly to on a whim. I still remember my conversation with Princess over a plate of pancit and the free soda I got that day. My entry was a very tight version of Biking in Basco and I just realised I must have been hungry while writing--it was full of food! Anyway, here's a snippet:

    I'm sorry the front tire blew off when I hit the gutter, when I evaded the produce truck two streets away and I was too exhausted my mind drifted to coconut crabs slow-stewed in coconut milk and didn't see it coming... My head ran with apologies as I walked toward the panciteria, where I rented a bike for day to explore a small town in Batanes. I was dallying the streets of Basco when I almost collided with a truck. I only had to swerve, but my dinosaur bike got the beating... MORE

    The character limit reminded me of flash nonfiction so I wrote it in that manner--I should learn working on those limitations too so I learn to write tighter and more focused travel pieces. As Randy would say, short but sweet. :) - 6/9/2015
  • You might also like

    No comments: