-->
  • Walking Tour: Siliman Avenue and Rizal Boulevard

    Dumaguete has always been part of my growing up imagination. I have long delayed visiting because I hoped I could come as a fellow of a summer writing workshop. The dream ceased but Dumaguete continued to linger at the backyard of my thoughts. So when my favourite local airline offered a cheap trip, I immediately booked a flight--and here I am, spending a lazy weekend in this laidback city in the Visayas.

    For my walking tour, I traversed the famous Rizal boulevard, named after the national hero who strolled along the bay before being exiled in Dapitan, and the university avenue, which has the main gate toward the oldest university in the region: the Siliman University.


    Wide manicured lawns circled by hundred-age-old trees peppered Siliman University. Further adding to its American annexation feel were traditional stone and wood houses.


    Enroute to the SU church, I saw a baby pick-up truck (above). The interiors of the SU church was simple but eye-catching. The loft benches are my favourites.


    I didn't reach the famous marine lab for this walk--I was exploring through gut-feel and had no idea where I'm heading. After crossing this overpass, I did a U-turn and returned to Rizal.




    And the last reminder of Dumaguete/Siliman for me was these bright reddish pink frangipanis (it was my first time seeing these flowers in this shade).


    The end of the Siliman avenue leads to the port, which has ferry services to Siquijor, Dapitan, and Cebu. In that blistering afternoon, I ended up stalking passengers and taking snapshots of the busy sea terminal.






    I was too tired after the walking tour I ended up sleeping for hours and missing the sun set. Instead, I got glimpses of the Dumaguete City nightlife from a walk toward the nightly Tempurahan and back to my hotel.






    Barely a day in Dumaguete and I have fallen in love with the place. The languid air and the laid-back provincial aura will have me returning soon. Here, my soul seems to be at rest and ready to call forth my muse. - 6/2/15
  • You might also like

    No comments: