-->
  • Dream trips, part 1

    While doing my usual early morning (early night, Manila time) responsibilities for Hearst TV, I chanced upon a news feature in the Machu Picchu. I want to go to Machu Picchu as it's one of those mysterious places in the world that intrigued me as a kid. Being the eager-beaver that I am, I already browsed through Peru travel tours. This gave me an idea: Why not list down all the places I want to visit? After much thought, here are the places I will be saving up for:

    Machu Picchu (Peru)
    Machu Picchu is regarded as the Lost City of the Incas, the largest empire in pre-occupation America. The mountain sanctuary is above the Urubamba Valley in Peru. It is believed to have been an estate for Emperor Pachacuti but recent theories suggest that the highland city was an ancient prison.

    Peru for Less offers packages to Machu Picchu. The one I might get is the Explore the Path of the Inca package that lasts for 7 days and 6 nights. The amount is pegged at $1,069 or around P50,000. Total budget estimate: P100,000-P150,000.

    Easter Island (Chile)
    Regarded as the most remote island in the world, the Easter Island lies between Chile and Tahiti. It is famous for its moai or stone monoliths that date back to Polynesian times. This island is the known habitat of the Rapa Nui people, who eventually perished because of environment degradation, diseases like tuberculosis and smallpox, and attacks from slave raiders.

    According to MSNBC.com, a trip to Easter Island is very costly. Kontiki Tours has tours that last from 3 to 5 days from Santiago, Chile with amounts beginning at $1,732 or roughly P83,000. LetsGoChile has a 6-day Easter Island tour at $1,896 or P90,000, which I might avail of once I've saved enough. Total budget estimate: P150,000-P200,000.

    North Korea
    Okay, North Korea is not the most "open" country in the world, but its stance to keep the world away makes it all the more alluring (much like China was before it opened its walls). While researching on South Korea tourism a few years ago, I learned that most travel tours in Seoul (South Korea) can provide a brief glimpse of North Korea. But with all the commotion in the border, this might not be best for now.

    According to WikiTravel, the country has very strict guidelines and journalists need special permission to enter North Korea, which are seldom granted. If a tourist fails to adhere to these guidelines, he or she will stay for a short while in a labor camp, deported, and banned from the country. Worse things will happen to the tour guide. Gulp. For a week in Pyongyang, tourists will spend 500 euros or around P40,000 if I got the conversion right. Total budget estimate: P80,000-P100,000.

    Giza Pyramid (Egypt)
    The only remaining wonder of the Ancient World, the pyramids of Giza might as well be every traveller's dream vacation. Who didn't grow up fantasizing about Egyptian myths and legends, of Pharaohs and centuries of conquering the deserts? Maybe the films are overdone and the culture is overrated, but I am very eager to visit this landmark.

    I'm eyeing the 14-day Egypt Desert & Culture Tours offered by Memphis Tours Egypt, which ranges from $1762 to $1898 or P80-P90,000. The trip involves the usual pyramid tours, the Bahariya Oasis, the White and Black Desert, and the Luxor and Karnak Temples. Wow, this is a cultural vacation. Total budget estimate: P200,000-P250,000.

    I have loads of other trips but I will add those once I'm done with my initial research. Whew, these spots sure do cost a lot!
  • You might also like

    No comments: