-->
  • Stepping out, taking charge

    My 2011 planner with some travel books and Kimidoll Lilly
    In a few hours, 2010 will officially end and before it does, I thought it might be best to write a quick blog about the soon-to-be preceding year. If I were to summarize my 2010, it was a year of stepping out, a year of movements.

    Criselda once told me that the world belongs to the bold. I believe her. If I look back on what I've done this year, I find daring decisions and crazy options. I don’t regret anything—they were all good for me.

    My 2008 was a year of exploring; 2009, of unraveling. My 2010 was stepping out of my comfort zones and going out into the world. I listed down testaments to this, and got 4 key events:

    1) Moving out of the house

    For the last 24 years of my life, I have been in the family household and moving out was one of the tough yet worthwhile decisions I made this year.

    When I moved out, I learned to value many things: family, money, food. I learned how to cook my meals, do my laundry (though sometimes I still send it out to my Mom), I even learned the art of the budget. Sure it was tough at first, but Lester was right, it indeed got better. For one, I can go home any time I want without causing a bedlam.

    2) Election season

    The election has been, for the longest time, my dream coverage. The recent 2010 elections tested my patience and spread me thin. How? My editor, Ms Gemma, made me look after 30 Halalan Volunteers, some college graduates, most are interns.

    My dream election coverage was running after a presidential candidate, not baby-sitting college students, but the latter made me learn numerous things. For one, I realize that making profiles is one of my strengths and being a credible investigative journalist is what I really really really want to become one day.

    Most of all, the election experience made me realize that I’m not cut for political coverages because I’m too opinionated and I’m easily charmed. But I did find a new love: energy and environment.

    3) Leaving ABS-CBN

    One of the toughest decisions I have to make this year was whether to wait and stay or to go and explore. Obviously, I took the latter. ABS-CBN taught me how to be critical, to stay on my toes, to run after stories.

    Being a researcher-writer was a good foundation to becoming a journalist. I have not unleashed my full potential yet, but I’m sure going freelance will give me tough but memorable learning experiences that will hone me to be a better writer.

    4) Scriptwriting workshop

    When my travel magazine editor asked me why I applied for an Editorial Assistant position as my first job, I told him I want to earn money to make my own film. As I get ushered into the world of writing, I have almost forgotten my film dream.

    Luckily, I got into Sir RJ’s scriptwriting workshop and for the last 2 months, I have been trying to remember being a scriptwriter, being a filmmaker, being creative again. One day I will make my own film, and I will not regret taking the path of a writer.

    Freefall

    It is only proper that after “stepping out,” I should “take charge.” Hence, my 2011 will be about taking charge of all aspects of my life—my career, my independence, even my currently nonexistent love life. It’s no longer a year to go with the flow, but a year to run after dreams and let myself fall.

    I wrote down goals, not resolutions, for the coming 2011:

    1) I will be wiser with my money and open a savings account.
    2) I will always meet my deadlines and avoid slacking off.
    3) I will be a scriptwriter.
    4) I will be an investigative journalist.
    5) I will travel… a lot.
    6) I will learn how to swim and use it as my new fitness regimen.
    7) I will learn French and Mandarin.
    8) I will enroll for a Masters degree. 
    9) I will surf… a lot.

    Happy New Year, everybody! Cheers!
  • You might also like

    No comments: