-->
  • Cinemalaya musings


    It's another Cinemalaya season.

    Cinemalaya, a combination of the words cine (movie) and malaya (free) is the most popular (wouldn't say most prestigious) independent film festival in the country. As proof of its growing popularity among the masses, it's been running for eight continuous years now, has a wide selection of films from both mainstream and indie filmmakers, and include special screenings in Trinoma and Greenbelt cinemas.

    My Cinemalaya fixation started way back in 2004. At that time, Cinemalaya was still in its second year and the halls of CCP (where its religiously held) were littered with very few viewers. I stopped visiting after its fifth run for a couple of reasons. One, the place is too crowded, tickets sell like hot pancakes, and after an "albeit" filmmaker personally attacked one of my reviews for my then employer, ABS-CBN News Online.

    So much has happened since then. I never really missed Cinemalaya; I have outgrown it. Last night, I looked through the crowd and realized I don't know anyone anymore. Sure I saw some old familiar faces, very very few I can count them in one hand. But apart from them, I hardly knew anybody.

    They say that if you return to your hometown and no one recognizes you, it means you have successfully cut your roots. It seems, I did just that. - 7/23/2012
  • You might also like

    2 comments:

    Kristine said...

    Send me a list of your recommendations! I am on a movie binge this month and would love to watch quality Pinoy films. :) How are you? how's work and life?

    Leilani Chavez said...

    Tin! :D

    Oh dear, I wish I watched all the films during the festival. Unfortunately, I only had the leisure of watching Oros, Bwakaw, and Ang Katiwala because of work.

    My friend is behind Oros and my bosses did the other two. If I'm going to rate them, Oros is my number one, followed by Ang Katiwala, then Bwakaw.

    I heard Sta. Nina is good, as well as Mga Mumunting Lihim. Diablo was also notable.

    As for work and life... Er, I'll just make kwento over chat! Haha!